Challenge Participant

Pages

Wednesday 25 June 2014

Little Beach Street Bakery by Jenny Colgan

The Little Beach Street Bakery

Polly Waterford is recovering from a toxic relationship. Unable to afford their flat, she has to move miles away from everyone, to a sleepy little seaside resort in Cornwall, where she lives alone above an abandoned shop. And so Polly takes out her frustrations on her favourite hobby: making bread. But what was previously a weekend diversion suddenly becomes far more important as she pours her emotions into kneading and pounding the dough, and each loaf becomes better and better. With nuts and seeds, olives and chorizo, with local honey (courtesy of local bee keeper, Huckle), and with reserves of determination and creativity Polly never knew she had, she bakes and bakes and bakes ...And people start to hear about it. Sometimes, bread really is life ...And Polly is about to reclaim hers.

This has to be my favourite Jenny Colgan book so far - set in Cornwall I was able to transport myself away from everyday life and imagine the tranquil setting and beautiful scenery.

Reading the title, readers would be forgiven for believing that this book is about a Bakery on Little Beach Street and although the main character, Polly Waterford, does open a bakery, this is only a small part of the story. I believe that the story is much more than this. Polly moves away from her old life, her ex partner and her business which has gone down the pan, and moves to Cornwall, remote and scenic. However, what Polly does not realise is that there are many unspoken rules about living in Polbearne and Polly upsets a number of villagers before she becomes accepted by villagers and puts Polbearne back onto the map.

There are a number of great characters in the book but I must admit, the most adorable was the little puffin, Neil, which Polly nursed back to health. I also liked the fishermen Jayden and Tarnie, and Huckle, the American Bee-Keeper, all of whom had their own stories which were entwined within Polly's.

At the end of the book there are a number of recipes which have been mentioned in the story - I love this extra material from Jenny. By the time you have finished the book you are left hungry from reading about all of the gorgeous sounding food that Jenny makes.

I have never been down to Cornwall but reading this book I would love to visit the area as it sounds idyllic - peaceful but beautiful, although I don't like the idea of being cut off from mainland when the sea comes in but to others I can see it as being the perfect place for them.

I really loved this latest book from Jenny Colgan and I am looking forward to her next release.

Thank you to the publishers, Sphere, for sending me the book to review.

No comments:

Post a Comment