Challenge Participant

Pages

Wednesday 3 July 2013

First term at L'Etoiles (School for Stars) by Holly and Kelly WIlloughby

First Term at L'Etoile - School for Stars

We are the Willoughby sisters and we have a story to share with you about one of the most important things in the world - friendship. On the first day of term at L'Etoile, School for Stars, twins Maria and Molly Fitzfoster meet Pippa Burrows who's won a song-writing scholarship to the school. The talented trio share the same dreams of super-stardom and become best friends. But will their friendship stand up against Lucifette Marciano's plans to wreck their chances and claim fame for herself? A brand new series from two sisters who are well acquainted with stardom. Holly is a celebrity who is also a role model.

When I was younger, my favourite author was Enid Blyton and when I read the Malory Towers and St Clares series I wanted to attend there. I loved the series and dreamt of dormitories and midnight feasts. As my daughter was growing up and also loved books I couldn't wait until I could share the series with her - and she didn't like it! I was so  disappointed but when I saw this series by Holly and Kelly Willoughby, set in a 'stage school' environment I was hopefully that this may gain her attention.

As I read this book, the first in a new series, I was impressed with the style of writing. Written by two sisters I was unsure as to if the story would flow -and it does, smoothly. The narrative is occasionally 'interrupted' by a storyteller, who gives the reader ideas to think or thoughts to note, and it was as if someone was reading along with me, and 'nurturing' my thoughts as I read the book.

The series is set at L'Etoile, School for Stars, a prestigious boarding school, which spends half the day on traditional curriculum subjects and each afternoon is spent on 'The Arts'. This book is the first term for the new intake, which includes twins Maria and Molly Fitzfoster. The main event in the term is the end of term performance where scouts and agents are invited, along with the pupils parents, to watch the students perform and hopefully, wow, the audience.

The story is set in modern day and is bang up to date with the twins writing a blog, behind the scenes at L'Etoile - this is a great addition to the story and adds another element where the twins are informed of the possible sabotage to one of the pupils by another of the intake. 

I would recommend this book as great for anyone age 9+ who loves stage, performance, X Factor or dreams of a life where stardom is guaranteed. 

As mentioned, this is the first in a new series of books and I am looking forward to seeing what sisters, Holly and Kelly Willoughby have in store fr Molly, Maria and their friends next term.

No comments:

Post a Comment