Challenge Participant

Pages

Wednesday 20 March 2013

A French Affair by Katie Fforde

A French Affair


Gina and Sally Makepiece have inherited a stall in the French House - an antiques centre nestled in the heart of the English countryside. Gina is determined to drag the French House and its grumpy owner into the twenty-first century. Bearing all the attributes of a modern-day Mr Rochester, Matthew Ballinger is less than happy with the whirlwind that has arrived on his doorstep. The last thing either of them want is to fall in love. But will a trip to France change their minds?

When I pick up a Katie Fforde book I know that I am in for a great read and this, her latest release, is definitely that!

Set in a Cotswold village, Gina and Sally are disappointed (at first) to discover that they have been left a business in a relative's will - however there is a catch, before they get ownership,they must make some money in the antique market. Gina is in PR and Sally is a mum to two children. It is Gina who sees the potential in the business and Sally, while busy with family life, finds a new found talent in recyled pieces. But what Gina isn't prepared for is the owner of The French House, Matthew, who Gina tries to ignore the attraction with - however as they spend more time together will they get together or will old flames be a spanner in the works?

When I read the synopsis I was a little unsure if I would enjoy this book - when I think about antiques I think Bargain Hunt, expensive pieces of 'old' and 'dusty' furniture or ornaments, in pokey, badly lit rooms or rooms where you need a huge salary before you can walk through the door. However, the story was well written and although it touched on the antique business it was more about Gina, Sally and Matthew and the unusual request that was left for Sally and Gina. 

The story was set in a Cotswold village, an area which I have visited and can picture, and really bought the story alive. An area where there are lots of little shops and boutiques and where antique dealers have shops or go on trips hunting for new items. 

I really enjoyed the characters in this book and would love to see them feature in future books by Katie Fforde.

I also really like the design for the cover - it is simple, clean lines and  chic. I have a number of covers in this style by Katie and I believe it sums up her books perfectly.

I would recommend this book to fans of Katie Fforde and/or women's fiction - it is a fantastic read to devour in one sitting!

Thank you to the publishers, Cornerstone, for sending me the e book to review.

No comments:

Post a Comment