Challenge Participant

Pages

Thursday 22 December 2011

Just William by Richmal Crompton

Just William

There is only one Just William. The loveable imp has been harassing his unfortunate family and delighting hundreds of thousands of readers for years. Here, the Outlaws plan a day of non-stop adventure. The only problem is, William is meant to be babysitting. But William won't let that stop him having fun with his gang - he'll just bring the baby along!

I loved the Just William books when I was younger and following its successful recent television series, my son and daughter have also become great fans. 

I love this edition of the book, with the vintage William illustration on the hardback cover, it is very similar to the copy I had when I was younger. My daughter has recently treated herself to the edition which has stills from the recent television adaptation, but the stories remain the same and William is just as mischievous! There are 12 stories included within this book and they are the original stories, not updated to include child friendly words or PC situations. I would say that this is for adults who want to reminisce. It is a reminder of how children used to behave and look up to their elders.

The book contains original pencil sketched illustrations to accompany the stories and are fantastic, they add to the vintage style of this edition.

I would recommend this as a great gift for the older Just William fans who want to reminisce over the festive period.

Thank you to the publishers, Macmillan's Children's Books, for sending my son and I this book to review following his recent hospital treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment