Challenge Participant

Pages

Wednesday 20 July 2011

Baby Be Mine by Paige Toon






'He's not mine, is he?' That's the question I fear the most. You see, I have a secret. My son is not fathered by my boyfriend, but by one of the most famous rock stars that ever lived. And he doesn't even know it. One-time celebrity personal assistant to wild boy of rock Johnny Jefferson, Meg Stiles is now settled and living in the south of France with her doting boyfriend Christian and their son Barney. But they're living a lie - a lie that will turn their lives upside down and inside out - because as Barney reaches his first birthday, Meg can no longer deny that her son is growing to look more and more like his rock star father every day, and less and less like Christian, and sooner or later, the world is going to realise ...



I this is one of the most anticipated books in the chick lit market this year from the tweets and blogs I have read from chick lit lovers. I like many others have loved all of Paige Toon’s previous books and at the end of Johnny Be Good I was left wanting to know what happened next, well now after reading Baby be mine, I do and it was worth the wait!

The main character is Meg, who lives with Christian and their son; however he is not the father, that is rock star Johnny Jefferson. Meg has kept this secret for a long time however, it is finally about to come out in the open and the 
book is about the outcome and upset caused.

Follow up books can sometimes not live up to expectations; however this book definitely does not fall into that category. The book has so many ups and downs for Meg and is true to real life. Although not everyone may have a child who was fathered by a rock star, there are children who may not be aware of their real fathers or fathers who are not aware they have a son or daughter. I really think that Paige has considered the implications upon everyone involved; Meg, Christian (the assumed dad); Johnny (the real dad); Meg's parents; and also Christian's parents.

The story begins slowly; however, it soon speeds up and also moves around the world. The story starts in France, but soon moves to LA and finally England where a great ending happens. There are the three main characters, but there are also other strong characters within the story - Meg's old colleagues and acquaintances in LA being important.

I enjoyed the scenes in LA. It was great to have an insight into a pop star's life in LA. This part of the story is fast paced and full of energy, as I am sure life would be there, before the pace slows down when Meg moves to the English countryside.

I read this book very quickly and really enjoyed Paige Toon's writing style, written through Meg's eyes. It is full of dialogue although there is enough description to be able to picture the scene perfectly.

Although this is a follow on book I do not believe you need to have read Johnny Be Good to be able to enjoy this book, there are plenty of reminders (or catch-up) of the back story to enjoy it to the max.

So, I hope you can see that I loved this book and I definitely recommend it as 
one of this summer’s must have reads!

Thank you to Simon and Schuster for sending me the book to review.

No comments:

Post a Comment