Challenge Participant

Pages

Tuesday 26 July 2011

Breaking Away by Anna Gavalda

I hadn't even sat down yet, one buttock still hovering, my hand on the car door, and already my sister-in-law was on the attack: "At last! Didn't you hear the horn? We've been waiting here for ten minutes!" "Good morning," I replied. On the car journey to a family wedding, Garance reflects on how adult life, with its disappointments and responsibilities, has not always gone to plan for herself or her three siblings. But just around the corner lies the chance for them to revisit their younger, carefree selves in a delightfully unplanned escapade.


A novel, originally written in French and then translated. The book is a story of one day in a family's life, a car journey to a family wedding and the relationship between the family and their extended family.


I must admit that I did not enjoy this book. It was very cleverly written and a wide range of emotions and feelings were explored.  The importance of family bonds is also investigated and all of these are very important to me and it was interesting to read about another family and the troubles they encounter along the way.  However, I did not find it a book that I enjoyed, nor would I be quickly recommending it to a friend.


The book is only 142 pages long, one which can be easily read in an afternoon sitting. Although it is a quick read, the book will stay with you much longer as you remember the subject content.


I received this book as part of the Amazon Vine programmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment