Challenge Participant

Pages

Monday 21 February 2011

If I Never See You Again by Niamh O' Connor



The Detective - Meet Jo Birmingham. Single mum, streetwise detective, and spiky as hell. Recently promoted, she is one of the few female detective superintendents on the Dublin police force. But with a failed marriage behind her and two young sons at home, trying to strike the right work-life balance has run her ragged. The Serial Killer - When Jo identifies the missing link in a chain of brutal killings, she comes under fierce scrutiny from her male colleagues in the force, especially her boss and ex-husband Dan Mason. But as the body count rises, so do the body parts. As fear stalks the city, it soon becomes obvious both to the police and to the media that a serial killer is at large. A Terrifying Game of Cat and Mouse - And so Jo embarks on a terrifying psychological journey to find out who the killer is, and how he is choosing his victims. Soon she is involved in a deadly game in which there are no rules. Because the killer is waiting for her...




This is the second book is my Transworld Crime Caper Challenge and i was looking forward to starting it as soon as it arrived in the post.



This is the first book in a series about Jo Birmingham, mother of two boys and the (ex) wife of her superior officer. There are a number of brutal murders which Jo links, they have a connection and Jo predicts when the next murder will happen, but the rest of the team are unsure. The team appear to not be behind Jo, and there appears to be information that the powers that be within the force do not want to know about.



Jo is a strong woman, and I do like books who have strong female leads and the story was well written, however, I am not sure that I am a fan of Niamh O' Connor books. I absolutely loved Tess Gerritsen and this is a completely different style of book. It is not so fast paced and I did not find myself having to read just one more chapter at night. I was also disappointed by the ending, I felt more was needed.



Having said that, I will be trying another of Niamh O' Connor's books to see if the series gets better (which is often the case with a book series who have a main character, as their writing style grows).



Thank you to Transworld for sending me the book to review.






No comments:

Post a Comment