Challenge Participant

Pages

Friday 26 November 2010

Brownies Christmas Cheer by Caroline Plaisted


Meet Charlie, Katie, Grace, Jamila and Ellie - they're five best friends and they've just joined the Brownies! Christmas is coming, and the Brownies are getting into the spirit of things! With presents to make, festive goodies to bake for the unit Christmas party, and a trip to the local pantomime to look forward to, the girls eagerly set about setting up Christmas Cheer. Now, if only it would snow...
I was a Brownie when I was younger and enjoyed my time spent there, however I was in the Elf six, but reading this book it would appear that the Brownies have been completely modernised since my time there.
This book is the seventh in the series and has a Christmas theme. While reading it, I did find number of current themes and good ideas included within it, thinking of Christmas as a time for giving and also for thinking about people less fortunate then ourselves (shoebox appeal and the people of Haiti) and raising money for charity (singing at a Christmas fayre).
The book also has a modern twist, embracing the subject of inclusion and equality for all with a disabled child and a child who has moved from Poland. I also liked the idea of the Brownies learning a new skill (knitting) and the mums getting involved too, sharing skills and getting together for evenings of knitting.
I think this book was a great read and as others have also said, something different to all the fairy books that are around for this age group. It also gives people an insight into Brownies and I am sure it will interest many young girls into joining the Brownies.
Thank you to Jane at Stripes for sending me the book to review.

No comments:

Post a Comment