Challenge Participant

Pages

Thursday 26 August 2010

It's a Dog's Life - Michael Morpurgo and Patrick Benson




Lula always likes me to go with her to the end of the lane. She loves a bit of a cuddle and a lick or two before the school bus comes. 'Oh Russ', she whispers. 'A horse. It's all I want for my birthday.' And I'm thinking - 'Scuse me, but what's so great about a horse? Isn't a dog good enough.' Michael's story is an energetic romp through a dog's busy day on a farm. Russ, the sheepdog, herds sheep and cows and plots against Tigger, the farm cat. He covers Lula, his master's daughter, with lots of slobbery licks but when she gets a special birthday present, he worries that she might love it more than him...

This book is a gorgeous book - beautiful pictures which look hand drawn, any of which would look at home on the walls of a farmhouse. I would have this book as a special book to share with the chidlren at quiet or bed time.
The story is about a trusty farm dog written as if the dog is telling the story. It introduces the reader to farm life, the herding and shearing of sheep. It also, i think, gives a message about remembering to include old friends, when new friends appear.
i really enjoyed reading this book and i think Michael Morpurgo, along with Patrick Benson, have written a lovely story which will be loved by children of all ages.
Thank you to Michael from my child forum (www.mychild.co.uk) for sending this book to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment